While at World Rimfire Challenge in Alabama, I met with the new lead designer from FRA and returned the CSA45 I had. The original, while very promising, under-delivered on accuracy. He promised a revised version and I expected to see something minimally different. Not so!
The new version of CSA45 exceeded my expectations:
- Uses Glock magazines rather than proprietary mags, which also makes loading much easier.
- Much lighter and better balanced.
- Uses standard AR15 buttstocks.
- Has a much superior longer rail with plenty of slots.
- Has much stronger ejector.
The design will evolve a little more, in part to reflect my input, but it looks like a serious competitor to MPX (albeit in 45ACP rather than 9mm) and far superior than UMP. Hopefully, the new barrels would provide good accuracy. We should know for sure in a month.
A friendly ammunition maker may be offering a new load for it, 185gr with an all-copper expanding bullet loaded with slower powders to maximize velocity from the 16 inch barrel. 1400fps is the expected velocity and, like all offerings from that makers, it should have excellent accuracy.