Assume a legally reasonable US state and an on-going violent riot…
Defender faces a crowd of several hundred advancing on a residential property above a storefront. Crowd already demonstrated violent behavior, has visible melee weapons and incendiaries but no visible ranged weapons. Would it be legal to:
- Fire large birdshot to hit the entire mob at a hundred yards for less lethal effect?
- Fire buckshot to hit a substantial part of the mob at twenty yards?
- Fire slug (or rifle bullet) to hit an individual with an incendiary device at a hundred yards? at twenty yards?
Main legal question are:
- Less lethal deterrent by private parties rather than police?
- Hitting everyone in a mob rather than aiming at specific individuals?
- Firing at extended range to avoid being rushed and overwhelmed by sheer numbers?